Nifty and GanttPRO are two of the most popular project management tools available today.
But how do they stack up against each other?
Which one manages tasks better?
Which one helps you allocate resources more effectively?
Which one is more affordable?
Discover all the answers in our detailed comparison guide.
A. Project and Task Management
Get. Things. Done.
You and every project manager likely live by those words.
It’s also the heart and soul of any project management software.
This is why, before anything else, you must evaluate a tool’s ability to help you manage your tasks and projects.
Features to look out for:
- Project structure: A simple, intuitive way to organize work and toggle through multiple projects, tasks, boards, etc.
- Views: Board, list, timeline, Gantt, and other types of views that let you visualize various types of information within each project.
- Tasks & subtasks: Dedicated spaces offering the ability to drill down to the smallest level of actionable detail about each project item.
- Statuses: Effortless ways to communicate the exact progress of each task, board, project, etc.
- Checklists: Quick to-do lists for each task so things don’t fall through the cracks
- Task templates: Easy-to-copy templates to create identical tasks at scale across multiple projects.
- Assignees: The ability to assign tasks, boards, or projects to individual team members, groups, or even teams.
- Priorities: A way to communicate the urgency level of each task, subtask, or project.
- Automations: Trigger-based (if X happens then do Y); ways to automate repetitive actions such as notifications, comments, status updates, etc.
1. Project Structure / Hierarchy
Find everything on Nifty by navigating this easy-to-understand hierarchy:
Workspace > Portfolios > Projects > Milestones > Tasks > Subtasks
- Workspace: A place for all your work on Nifty
- Portfolios: A collection of projects grouped by teams, departments, etc.
- Projects: Designated spaces to manage and collaborate over Milestones, Tasks, docs, etc.
- Milestones: High-level objectives in a project comprising several Tasks
- Tasks: Single to-dos that can be assigned to individuals or multiple team members
- Subtasks: A breakdown of Tasks into smaller to-dos that comprise them
Organize your workspace with the help of an easy-to-understand Hierarchy.
Project portfolio > Project > Mileston > Task > Subtasks
- Project portfolio: All projects are displayed on the same screen to give you a complete overview of all work in one glance.
- Project: A sequence of tasks headed towards the same goal.
- Milestone: Key, zero-duration events in a project’s lifecycle, showcased as diamonds.
- Task: Specific to-dos that lead up to a milestone and comprise a project.
- Subtask: Smaller to-dos that need to be completed in order to complete a task.
Work on these six views on Nifty:
Nifty allows you to see your work with these 11 views:
- List: Shows all Tasks one after the other in a simple list.
- Timeline: Track the overall progress of a Project by mapping it from Milestone to Milestone.
- Calendar: A master view showcasing all Task volumes and due dates.
- Kanban: A view to move Tasks (represented as cards) easily and facilitate an easy drag-and-drop working style.
- Swimlane: A Kanban-style display that showcases Tasks across multiple Milestones, allowing you to move them around with drag-and-drop motions.
- Custom: Apply various filters to sort Tasks and save the particular view for future reference.
While a Gantt chart is its default view, GanttPRO lets you work with four more views. These are:
- List: A table format displaying all tasks one after the other.
- Board: A Kanban-board-style representation of tasks categorized by their current statuses.
- Portfolio: Make top-level changes across all projects in a single view.
- Dashboard: Add widgets to display key project metrics and other information.
- Gantt: A detailed timeline view containing all task details, such as deadlines, assignees, milestones, and more, to help you track project progress.
3. Tasks & Subtasks
Tasks are the individual objectives within a project that live inside Task Lists and can be assigned to single to multiple assignees.
Completing Tasks contributes towards completing Milestones.
Edit a task with details like:
- And more
Further split a Task into Subtasks, each with its own level of detailing as a Task. Each Subtask has its own set of descriptions, comments, assignees, etc. Completing Subtasks doesn’t contribute to Milestone completion.
Tasks in GanttPRO are steps to be completed as part of the whole project. You can set up the following four levels of tasks:
- Summary tasks: A small group of tasks that forms a phase
- Tasks: Stand-alone to-dos within the project
- Subtasks: A smaller version of the task that leads to the completion of the summary task.
- Milestones: A zero-duration task that marks a significant event in the project lifecycle.
But there’s more. You can break your tasks down into 16 levels. Each time you create a new level, the parent task turns into a summary task. GanttPRO automatically generates a Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) that indicates this hierarchy in appropriate bulleting.
Nifty offers four default Statuses: To Do, In Progress, Review, and Completed — displayed on all Boards. You can change the Statuses for each Task or Milestone to reflect these. Besides these, users can customize their Board and add more statuses or change their colors.
Moreover, you can use custom statuses to visualize Project-level status too.
You can assign project statuses to indicate their exact position.
The default statuses in GanttPRO are No status (cannot be deleted), On track, At risk, and Off track. You can edit their names and colors and even create new statuses.
Additionally, you can set one of the following default statuses for tasks:
- In Progress
Moving the status changes the progress percentage in the Progress field of a task, too.
Use the Custom fields functionality to add and edit these statuses.
Nifty lets you add multiple Checklists to each Task and Subtask. Marking items on the Checklist reflections completion percentage on a progress bar for each list.
GanttPRO doesn’t offer any native checklists.
6. Task Templates
Save the layout of any Task or Milestone as a Template that you can reuse and apply to other Tasks or Milestones.
Each template contains fields for:
- Start / Due Date offsets
- Custom Fields
Once saved, you can customize it further.
In GanttPRO, you can create a project from scratch, add a bunch of tasks to it, add milestones and dependencies, and save it as a reusable template. The next time you use a self-created or GanttPRO’s default template, you can access the task template it contains too.
However, GanttPRO doesn’t let you create templates just for tasks.
Nifty lets you assign Tasks, Subtasks, and Portfolios to single or multiple team members. Assigning a Task to a team member will automatically assign its Subtasks to them, too.
Once you add them to a project, you can assign tasks to people or virtual resources in GanttPRO. Virtual resources are either external teams, their members, or physical resources (for ex: materials) that can be added to your projects.
Here are ways you can assign tasks in GanttPRO:
- Use the standard Assigned field in a task
- Use task settings to Add assignee
- Assign tasks in the My tasks tab
- Draw the task bar and drop it to the required resource or person
Nifty offers four default Priority tags: High, Medium, Low, and Blocked. Besides these, you can create and edit any number of custom Priority tags.
Choose between any of GanttPRO’s five default Priority levels for any task: Highest, High, Medium, Low, and Lowest.
Nifty lets you create the following automations:
- Custom If/Then Workflow Automations
- Automated Progress Reporting with Milestones
- Automated Task Assignments based on Task Status
- Automated Task Grouping
GanttPRO doesn’t offer any native automations.
B. Time Management
Time is money for a reason.
The right software can be the difference between pinching pennies and raking in the big bucks.
Effective project management software offers effortless time management features to help you befriend the clock.
With the right one, expect to keep all your tasks running as scheduled and meet your deadlines with ease.
Features to look out for include:
- Due dates: Communicate expected delivery dates.
- Time estimates: Make capacity decisions based on how much time each task or project is expected to take.
- Time tracking: Measure productivity with accurate time consumption data for each team member.
1. Due Dates
When you set due dates for your Tasks, Nifty will automatically calculate the due date for Milestone based on the duration for all Tasks that comprise it.
Moreover, Tasks Dependent on each other have cascading due dates. This means that when you change the due date for one Task, Nifty automatically changes them correspondingly for the other Dependent Tasks.
Set a date on any GanttPRO task by:
- Picking a date on the calendar
- Typing it in manually
2. Time Estimates
Nifty allows you to add Story Points to each Task. Based on them, it automatically sets time estimates for Milestones. Typically 1 point accounts for roughly 1 day of work.
GanttPRO gives you the option to set the following for each task:
- Estimation: The number of hours a task should be completed in
- Duration: The time span (number of days) that a task should be completed in
You may set one or both of these. Using this data, GanttPRO will automatically calculate by what date and time the assigned resource(s) should complete the task and set the due date accordingly.
3. Time Tracking
Use Nifty’s native Time Tracker to track time for each individual Task. You can easily edit this tracked time information or add manual entries of the time you worked on each Task.
Users can access detailed Logs of all their recorded time on Nifty.
Log time on GanttPRO using any one of the following three ways:
- Manually enter time in a task’s time log
- Start the automatic timer on each task window when you work on it
- Add your time in My time log (containing a list of all your tasks) in the left sidebar
What you can’t measure, you can’t improve.
Reporting and analytics features can help you track real-time progress, monitor key metrics, and sniff out bottlenecks like a detective.
Armed with these insights, your team can stay ahead of the curve no matter the situation.
Expect better resource management, superior deadline compliance, and a more focused and decisive team.
Features to look out for include:
- Goals and milestones: Record targets for the whole team to see and work towards.
- Dashboards: Visualize data from all corners of the team into a user-friendly, interactive interface.
- Gantt charts: Keep your plans flexible with Gantt charts that allow you to adjust timelines based on changing resource availability and task completion ratio.
1. Goals & Milestones
A Milestone in Nifty refers to a collection of Tasks that form a high-level objective in a Project. Which is why they’re also referred to as ‘Task Lists.’ Each Milestone is auto-updated as and when you move around the Tasks that comprise it.
You can even create Dependencies between various Milestones within a Project. This blocks the Tasks in Dependent Milestones until the preceding Milestone is achieved.
A step further than this is a Goal. A Nifty Goal lets you track progress across Projects and Portfolios. To set a Goal, you need to select:
- Progress Source: The Tasks and Lists (Milestones) that make up the Goal
- Track Metric: Whether the Goal depends on the number of Tasks completed, time tracked, Story Points, or any other Custom Field you decide
- Target: Whether the Track Metric will dynamically update itself or will need a static (predefined) target
Goals progress as the Tasks within them progress.
GanttPRO offers no dedicated features to set and track project goals.
However, you can set milestones as important events on your project timeline. These milestones — displayed as diamonds — can easily be spotted on the Gantt chart.
A Nifty Project Dashboard uses widgets to display the status of Roadmaps, Tasks, Discussions, Docs, and Files in a particular Project.
Use GanttPRO’s Dashboard tab to get a quick overview of key project data, such as:
- Performance against baselines
- Risks and opportunities
- Schedules and delivery, etc.
By default, the Dashboard tab contains the following widgets:
- Project info & description
- A bar chart with Time spent on tasks
- A bar chart and a table with Milestones
- A bar chart with a Schedule
- A bar chart with Costs
- A pie chart with Task status
3. Gantt Charts
Milestones — or a List of Tasks that form a high-level objective in Nifty — can be displayed as a Gantt chart.
This timeline-style view lets you see the selected Task’s name, due date, and assignees in the sidebar, while the main view gives you a complete overview of where the Task stands in the Milestone.
As one of its central features, GanttPRO offers immense customizability in its Gantt charts.
For instance, you can:
- Add a Today marker line on the chart to indicate the current date when planning
- Customize how the chart looks using the Skin mode
- Format the chart to add indents and outdents and improve visibility
- Show people’s Avatar on the chart to easily spot assigned tasks
D. User Management
Software, features, and other tech things aside, the real heroes of any project are your team members. So make sure to pick the kind of project management software that puts them front and center!
How do you do this?
Look for software that knows what different team members need and helps you deliver the right experience.
Features to look out for include:
- User groups: Create internal teams representing various departments, functions, or projects.
- Permission levels: Grant different access levels depending on the users’ information requirements and the company’s security concerns.
- Guest users: Invite team members from other companies/teams to collaborate with your team without compromising on confidential data.
1. User Groups
Besides the four default user roles, you can create Custom Roles on Nifty and tailor every bit of access they get.
Plus, you can add Custom User Tags to a user’s profile to indicate things like their geography, work shifts, departments, etc. This will help you sort and filter users via tags.
The People tab in GanttPRO lets you see all the people invited to be members of a particular project. The Project Owner can then add or delete team members as needed and even edit their permissions.
2. Permission Levels
Nifty offers four default types of user roles:
- Owner: In charge of billing
- Admins: Can create Portfolios and Projects, invite other Team Members and Guests, and promote them as Admins
- Team Members: Can create Projects and invite other Team Members and Guests to Nifty
- Guests: Can join only by invite and cannot access anything not shared with them
Barring a few core functionalities, such as those related to the creation of realms and inviting/removing members, most other permissions are shared across all users on Nifty.
Team Members predominantly have edit and invite/remove access only to their Projects.
All GanttPRO plans let you set up the following default types of account types:
- Account Owner: Can manage the subscription and other key account-level functionality
- Account Admin: Have project-specific permissions that don’t extend to adding/deleting users or to other projects they’re not in charge of
- Account Member: Have limited access to the projects they’re invited to — as set up by Account Ownder and Admin
Besides these, an Account Owner using an Enterprise plan can create a Custom role with a completely unique set of permissions.
3. Guest Users
Guest users on Nifty get access only to the specific Projects shared with them.
GanttPRO doesn’t offer a dedicated feature for onboarding guest users.
However, one can use one of the two following methods to invite guest users:
- Create Account Member seats with limited project access
- Enterprise plan customers can create Custom user roles
In project management, collaboration and communication are like a ballroom dance — if everyone isn’t in sync, you’re just stepping on each other’s toes!
A project manager should encourage their team to be on the same page regarding everything happening on the project. This could involve regular meetings, periodic status updates, shared checklists, etc.
But things can get tricky when you add different team structures (remote, hybrid, distributed, etc.).
The trick is to balance ‘informing everyone’ with ‘over-communicating.’
The solution is to forge a shared space where the whole team can contribute without hampering individual productivity. Picking a suitable project management software is the first step toward achieving this goal.
Features to look for include:
- Comments: Simple ways to send feedback or discuss a task or project.
- Threads: Keep all relevant comments in a single thread.
- Tagging/@mention: Mention a team member on a task, in comments, or in any shared space to notify them.
- Sharing tasks: Share tasks with relevant team members for efficient collaboration.
- File management: Attach and store files, create and annotate documents, etc., for ready access to project documentation.
- Notifications: Customize how team members receive notifications.
1. Comments, Threads, & Tagging
Team Members can have project-specific discussions on dedicated channels for each Project in Nifty. Here, they can post a message in text, emoji, or GIFs and even react to each other’s messages.
Nifty discussion channels let you create threads and pin messages too.
You can access task comments using one of the following methods:
- The comment icon on a task
- An Activity feed that shows a timeline of all project activities
- Your personal Communication hub
GanttPRO’s Communication hub shows you people’s comments from across all their projects, mentioned under respective tasks. This saves you the time of having to browse every project space for the latest updates.
Moreover, GanttPRO organizes comments into read and unread stacks.
Users can tag each other and send important project updates via these comments.
2. File Management
Nifty’s Files tool lets you upload and manage all relevant files with ease. You can even comment on them directly in Nifty to keep your feedback organized and accessible.
Drag and drop or upload files directly onto tasks on GanttPRO with ease. You can keep track of all task attachments in a single space below the comments section.
Nifty currently offers support for browser push notifications across Chrome. Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, and Microsoft Edge.
You can change your Nifty notifications to pick and choose what you get notified for.
To stay on top of all project updates, GanttPRO users can receive:
- Activity feed notifications (in-app) that are by default sorted by date. These cannot be deactivated.
- Email notifications
- Push notifications that must be activated for the app and browser.
You can customize how you receive email and push notifications in your settings.
F. Customer Support
Individual users in smaller teams often face a steep learning curve with most project management software.
In their case, having access to responsive support executives and a wealth of helpful resources can make a significant difference, turning a frustrating experience into a positive one.
However, customer support is just as crucial for larger teams.
Even if these teams initially received thorough onboarding and training, their needs and use cases tend to evolve over time. Continuous and adaptable customer support becomes essential to address these changing needs effectively.
With adequate customer support, you can:
- Derive maximum value from the app with the help of professional guidance whenever required
- Ensure your team is making full use of all the features you’re paying for
- Learn from case studies of other teams using the same software
- Expand your use cases with time
- Learn about the features your team uses the most and avoid spending on those you don’t need
- Solve minor issues on your end by going through help resources
- Get hands-on support when you get stuck
- Keep a record of all your complaints and feedback for the platform to aid future buying decisions
- Send feedback to the app’s developers so they can design the features you most desire
Features to look for include:
- Detailed knowledge bases and documentation to aid DIY solutions to common issues
- Case studies, templates, guides, and other resources
- Easy access to resources for all types of users — free or paid
- Async support executives to cover for the time difference
- Live agents who can respond via chat or phone
- Screenshots and recordings to display how the tool works
- Translations to resources in other languages, if needed
- Help Center: A single source for all tool-related questions
- Change logs: An updated list of all newly released features and updates
- Support: Live chat and email
- Learning center: Help portal with detailed documentation on all GanttPRO features
- Video tutorials: A YouTube channel with walkthrough videos on how the platform works
- Customer Stories: Case studies from GanttPRO customers to demonstrate the software’s successful deployment
- Blog: Writings on project management, productivity, remote work, and more
- Customer support: Live chat, email
G. Platforms Supported
Distributed and field teams might not always be armed with laptops or computers.
But that doesn’t mean productivity has to stop.
With a mobile-friendly project management tool, the workflow keeps humming along, turning those smartphones into mighty workflow tools.
More reason to look into this?
If your company follows a Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) approach, your team members need the freedom to switch between various devices.
With support for all types of apps, you can:
- Ensure uniform access irrespective of device type
- Save on the cost of buying the same types of devices for the whole team
- Give all team members a chance to log work from anywhere, anytime
Features to look for include:
- App support for the latest Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android versions.
- Maximum coverage for all key features across devices
- Browser: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Microsoft Edge
- Desktop: Mac, Windows
- Mobile: iOS, Android
- Browser: Google Chrome, Opera, Safari, or Firefox (recommended)
- Desktop: Windows
- Mobile: iOS, Android
Whether you have deep pockets or shoestring budgets, there’s project management software out there for every kind of organization.
But the confusing combination of features and numbers on pricing pages can make it difficult to choose.
Here are some easy tips for starters.
If you plan on buying the software subscription for just yourself or a small team that’s not likely to grow rapidly anytime soon — stick to the free plan as long as possible. Or pick the cheapest monthly subscription possible. These should cover most of your feature requirements comfortably in most cases.
However, if you expect to hire rapidly and grow to a sizable number, go for a plan that grows with you — ideally with a per-user rate that doesn’t add up exponentially.
Finally, most software offers flexible enterprise plans that let you cherry-pick your favorite features into a custom package. If you’re part of such a team, it’s best to contact the sales team and get the best deal possible.
Nifty offers a 14-day free trial, without any credit card. Post this, you can choose from the following pricing plans:
- Free forever: Unlimited Members, 100 MB storage, up to 2 Projects, along with all Core features
- Starter ($49 per month): 10 Members, 100 GB storage, 40 Projects, Unlimited Guests and Clients.
- Pro ($99 per month): 20 Members, 500 GB, Unlimited Projects, Unlimited Guests and Clients.
- Business ($149 per month): 50 Members, 1 TB storage, Unlimited Projects, Unlimited Guests and Clients.
- Unlimited ($499 per month): Unlimited Members, storage, Projects, Guests, and Clients.
GanttPRO offers a 14-day full-feature free trial plan, after which you can choose from any of the following pricing plans for a team of five and above:
- Basic ($7.99 per user/month): All core feature such as Gantt charts, project calendar, auto scheduling, and virtual resources.
- Pro (12.99 per user/month): Core features + advanced planning tools such as overdue tasks, custom fields and filters, calendar exceptions, and custom project templates.
- Business ($19.99 user/month): Everything in Pro + workload management, portfolios and reports, budget planning, and time tracking.
- Enterprise (price on request): Everything in Business + SAML Single sign-on, custom roles and rights, enterprise onboarding assistance, and priority support
I. Best Suited To
Picking the right project management tool is like finding the perfect pair of shoes. They must be a snug fit but also leave you some wiggle room to get comfortable!
In other words, the tool you pick must fit all your current needs and grow alongside your future requirements, too.
So make sure you’ve covered all bases in your research when picking project management software for your team.
One way to do this is to check what types of teams your choice serves best.
For instance, what works for a small software development team might not suit a large marketing agency.
When hunting for a PM solution, it’s vital to match the tool’s features and use cases with your team’s workflow. Tailor your search to find a tool with all the necessary features to manage your tasks and boost productivity.
Nifty lives up to its name in more ways than one.
It’s a fantastic project management tool with a comprehensive feature set that covers most basic to intermediate use cases. A tool for many trades, Nifty packs quite the punch — starting with its multiple views.
Besides the standard List and Calendar views, a Nifty user can view their tasks in the Swimlane view that pulls information from multiple Milestones/Lists simultaneously. This unique twist on a traditional view allows you to compare progress and multitask like never before!
And then there’s the ability to add multiple Checklists within Tasks, letting you add every intricate detail to each to-do. Finally, users can create as many custom Priority tags as they need.
A few sore points stick out, though.
For example, many users find the lack of resource allocation, cost-tracking, and visual ideation (mind mapping or whiteboards) features jarring. Moreover, its free plan — allowing just two projects — is extremely limiting to all but the smallest scale of operations.
However, despite these limitations, features like interactive Gantt charts, time estimates in Story Points, Milestones, and more endear Nifty to Scrum Masters and Agile project managers.
This is why Nifty remains a versatile project management software that offers tough competition to market leaders.
GanttPRO makes a solid case for Gantt chart-focused project management.
Its comprehensive project management core features nearly cover all bases for a team with basic requirements. This includes a feature-rich Gantt chart view with every kind of customization imaginable and automatic timeline calculation.
Then there’s the detailed ask planning that lets you split your work breakdown structure (WBS) into 16 levels!
Moreover, you can plan for not just human but also virtual resources such as material and external labor. Such diverse functionality makes GanttPRO a PM tool of choice for all kinds of teams — from software developers to construction companies.
The flip side?
A lack of a free plan (with paid plans starting at $7.99 per user/month) makes GanttPRO inaccessible to many. And even with a Pro subscription, you will not have access to project management staples, such as:
- Time tracking
- Custom project templates
- Overdue tasks
- Custom user roles
Finally, GanttPRO gives you a minimal — yet capable — mobile app for Android and iOS, but skips adding a Mac desktop app to the bag.
All in all, this project management tool has some ground to cover before it becomes a top-tier PM tool. But if you’re willing to pay and sure about what you need, GanttPRO might just be what you’re looking for.